1 Corinthians 1:4
I always thank my God for you because of his grace given you in Christ Jesus.
I have not stopped giving thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers.
1 Thessalonians 1:2–3
2 We always thank God for all of you and continually mention you in our prayers. 3 We remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ.
15 Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful.
1 Thessalonians 5:16–18
16 Rejoice always, 17 pray continually, 18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
11 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength.
Reflect on the Passages
Take a moment to read through the passages slowly. Ask the Holy Spirit to speak to you through them.
Is there a word or phrase that God is drawing to your attention? What is He saying to you through these passages?
Engage with the Message
1) What stood out to you from the Scripture passages and/or this week's message?
2) In what ways is God challenging you and/or encouraging you through the message?
3) Why do you think we have such a difficult time sticking with our New Year's Resolutions? Why do we struggle to change the things we know aren't good for us?
4) In 2017, 2/3 people in North America reported being unhappy more often than happy. How do you think this statistic might be different today? Why do you think so many people report being so unhappy?
5) In what ways do we chase after happiness in places that we will never find it? What brings true happiness?
6) Do you believe that gratitude cultivates happiness? Why do you think this is the case?
7) How can we authentically practice gratitude when things are difficult?
8) What are you thankful for as you reflect back over 2021?